Sunday, August 14, 2005

Settling In

My feet are up, the ceiling fan is on over the kitchen table, the windows are open and the curtains are blowing. It’s so nice to sit and relax after arriving to Mexico only 10 days ago, while the past 4 were fun-filled and on-the-go. Orientation begins at school tomorrow and I should get ready.

It shouldn’t be too hard to get to sleep early since I was woken around 5:00 a.m. when fireworks began. The booming gunfire-like sounds continued until 8:00, when Faye and I had to get up anyway. Once the fireworks began, the explosions set off car alarms, which then set off the neighborhood’s dogs’ cacophony of barking. As Faye and I left this morning, Señora apologized for the noises, saying that she and Señor do not like it either, and explained that the excitement is for Saint Mary’s Day. The church community next door has been celebrating with a fair and fireworks that have continued throughout the day. Señora added that the church that is a couple of blocks from the house has its saint’s day on September 21 – with celebrations beginning a couple of days before. Oh, how I’m looking forward to the celebration, unfortunately I may have to be out of town that weekend.