Wednesday, August 17, 2005

La Comida

Today’s orientation focused on teaching styles and evaluations. After school, I went to Elisa’s house since her daughter Mariana is leaving for the U.S. tomorrow. Mariana has helped me so much to get settled and find my way, that I wanted to see her one more time before she goes off on her own adventure. Mariana, her grandparents and I had “la comida” together.

“La comida” is like lunch in the U.S. - however, it’s the biggest meal of the day, and is later in the day, between 2-5. It usually consists of several different dishes, including soup, rice, a “plato fuerte” (main dish) and dessert. I’m not used to having soup so frequently, especially in the summer; however, if I want to do my best to “do what the Romans do,” I have to have the soup.

The “comida” is offered in many restaurants as a “comida corrida” or “comida del día” – a special fixed-price, multicourse menu costing anywhere from US$2.50 to US$5. Yesterday I had “la comida” at a small restaurant near my apartment; I chose the place since it was crowded – always a good sign. For 30 pesos (less than $3) I had a bowl of pasta soup, a side of rice, chicken in some excellent sauce with beans, tortillas and for dessert, “arroz con leche” (rice pudding). It also includes a drink – in this case I was given a PITCHER of “agua fresca” – it tastes like fruit that is blended and diluted in water – this one was tasted like watermelon/strawberry. “Agua fresca” is actually made by boiling the pulp of various fruits, grains, or seeds with water, then straining it and adding large chunks of ice.