Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Apartment

Saturday & Sunday, August 6 & 7, 2005
On Saturday, Mariana, her grandfather and I spent three hours looking at apartments; afterwards I was completely dejected. The places we saw were just horrible. The first one was so tiny I wasn’t sure if more than my left butt cheek could live there. The next one was on the third floor and had many broken stairs and the apartment still needed work and the kitchen wasn’t finished. Of course there are many amazing, modern buildings – however, the majority are being built now and won’t be ready for another year or so.

Luckily today we were able to see the one that Elisa visited with her mother before leaving for the U.S. A couple lives on the main level and first floor and rent out the apartment on the top floor/roof. It is a very quaint one bedroom with a small kitchen and miniscule living room with a nice size bedroom. The selling point for me is the awesome patio area, next to the apartment, on the roof. Honestly, another selling point is the Internet “cafĂ©” next door.

The lady will wait to hear from me on Tuesday, so that I can have a chance to check out a couple of other apartments. Oh, in Mexico they are called “departamentos” and the bedrooms are “recamaras”. This nice one is in the neighborhood of Coyoacan – very close to where Frida Kahlo lived, and is now a museum.