Monday, August 22, 2005

The First Day is Finished

I made it through the first day and really enjoyed it. Today confirmed my feeling that kids are kids, no matter where they are in the world. Just as in the U.S., the Mexican students want the teacher’s approval, don’t want to make mistakes or sound funny in front of their peers, need to be asked to throw out their trash, push each other (the boys) and hold hands and whisper to each other (the girls). My two classes went very smoothly. Since I teach 1st year students, who are equivalent to 7th graders, we were in the same boat with being new to the school. Just like at the beginning of the year in the U.S., the 1st year students look adorable, are quiet and eager to please the teacher.

When I arrived at school, at 7:40 a.m. I had about 40 minutes before my first class began at 8:20. When I went to the second floor for my class, the other English teacher, Elvira, told me that we had “ceremonia” on Mondays at that time, 2nd hour class then follows. The students gather in the “courtyard” in a “U” formation: 3rd year students facing 1st year students with 2nd year in the middle. Then within each year, students stand in lines with their groups. Since I have group 1A (first year, group A) during 2nd period, I stood with them. Elvira organized them in lines – two lines of girls and two of boys. As she “commanded,” they would raise and then lower their right arm, towards the student’s shoulder in front of them, until they were spread out arms length apart.

The ceremony began with 6 girls marching around the “U” with the Mexican flag. While everyone sang the national anthem, they saluted the flag by raising their right hand and pressing it straight to their hearts, holding it like a military salute – palm down, thumb against heart, fingers outstretched. Next, to say the “Pledge of Allegiance” the right arm was raised, outstretched at the height between the head and shoulder.

So 2nd hour, with group 1A started about halfway through the period, followed by group 1C. After I introduced myself and explained the exchange that Elisa and are doing, we began to brainstorm ways to introduce ourselves, start a conversation and tell one’s name. The students call me “teacher,” “maestra” or “miss”. If they are addressing me by name, they call me “Maestra Raquel” – no last names are used. For all of the formalities and given respect – as the students stand-up when a teacher/principal enters the room – it’s interesting that last names are not used for teachers, while only a teacher’s last name is used in the U.S.

Before I left for the day, I went to put my books in my locker in the English classroom. The classroom was full with 3rd year students and the teacher was downstairs in the office. I stayed and chatted with them – although they were extremely reluctant to try out any English or respond to any questions, beyond, “What is your name?” Some girls were however bold enough to ask how old I am – and I told one student that I really like her; she guessed that that I was 21.

When I left school I took the metro and exited at the stop in Condesa. Now I’m sitting at a café – where for less than $4 I had two glasses of Agua de Jamaica (Hibiscus juice), a bowl of soup made with pumpkin, a side of rice, a chicken sandwich and a little cup of arroz con leche (rice pudding).

And now I’m absolutely in 7th Heaven as I’m sitting in a fabulous, modern café about to indulge in a Chocolate Chai and using the WIRELESS INTERNET (I haven’t seen anywhere else here) – and, it’s FREE!