Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Finding My Way

At 10:30 a.m. Mariana came over to show me how to get to school. We walked south on Heroes del 47 to División del Norte and hopped on a bus at the corner – 2.5 pesos each. ($1 = 10 pesos) It was a short ride west to the huge intersection of División del Norte and Río de Churobusco. We ducked into the old-fashioned lime green VW mini-van – right out of the parking lot scene in Back to the Future (the original one) when Marty and Doc are being shot at by the Libyans. This bus cost 4 pesos each since the trip was a lengthy one (about 20 minutes to the airport). I couldn’t believe a couple times that people could actually fit in – no one feels awkward about knees touching or half of your butt cheek being on someone’s leg. I was relieved when that ride was over after about 20 minutes, as I was afraid I might throw up if we had to go any longer – we rode facing backwards the first half, until I could change seats.

When we arrived at the “airport” – it’s just the stop closest to the airport – we walked over to a parking lot full of buses and made our way to the bigger sized lime green bus. This bus must have been featured at some point on MTV’s pimp my ride – for the 25 minute ride, with our young, dark bus-driver/DJ at the helm, grandmas, kids and the rest of us were rockin’ and bumpin’ to Spanish rap and rock music. Finally, we made it to the small colony of Ermita Zaragoza where I will teach in the delegation of Iztapalapa.

If you can picture Wilmette with its perfectly manicured lawns and sturdy, nicely painted houses towering next to each other, each trying to look more impressive than the next – all you need to do is picture the complete opposite and you’ll be familiar with the area in which I’ll be teaching. There are some make-shift rooms, public housing (that actually looks better than the current state of Cabrini Green) and some small houses doing their best to stand their ground. The roads are dusty and life seems slower and quieter there than closer to central Mexico City. Bicitaxis (bicycle/taxis) dart all over the roads, and every once in a while a car zooms by.

If you can picture Wilmette Junior High School with its flag flying high above the building, the auditorium freshly renovated with plush seats, the FOUR computer labs, the library full of books and resources, the classrooms with more than enough desks for all students, a long marker board and the teacher’s lounge with two nice long tables, a refrigerator and vending machines – again, all you need to do is picture the complete opposite and you’ll be familiar with the school in which I’ll be teaching. To enter the school there is a tall metal fence that we pushed open and greeted the man on security duty. There is a wide-open space between the two sides of the school building and a “recreation area” just beyond with a couple of basketball hoops. All of the classroom doors open to the hallways that are outside. Some of the stairs of the three-floor building seem to have somehow receded.

Mariana and I walked into the office to see if there was anyone there I could meet. There were a couple of students with parents present to register for classes. I felt them staring and the secretaries too. I am so aware that before I even speak people know I’m different / not from here. I have to remind myself that of course that happens in Chicago and all over the world. Just by the way that someone dresses and their body language it’s easy to tell that they’re not from “here”.

We took a different route back and I’m feeling more and more comfortable that I know my way around – foreshadowing happening here!

When I reached my apartment the Señor was at the door and told me that someone from the phone company was here putting in my line. I couldn’t believe how excited I was – no more isolation, I can call people and not have to stand on a street corner to do so. The Señora asked me for 20 pesos to “tip” the guy. These “tips” are seen in every part of life here: When I leave my trash in the owner’s bin I have to leave 5 pesos, if not the trash collectors won’t pick it up in the future; when parking almost anywhere you “tip” someone to watch the car.

Later I tried to go to Mariana’s house and have lunch with her and her grandparents. I thought it was an easy ride – I got off too late, walked in the sun for about ten minutes, took a taxi to where I thought was close to the house and continued to walk in what probably amounted to circles. Mariana called and met me and together we walked the whole block to her grandparents’ house. After lunch her grandfather drove us to Gigante, the supermarket.

I bought a toaster-oven so that I don’t have to make everything in oil on the stovetop. It’s pretty tough to eat well here – white bread abounds and everything is drenched in oil.

Finally, I’m busy cleaning as I’m going to meet Faye at the airport tomorrow – I can’t wait to show her the downtown area, Chapultepec area, Coyoacan – where I live – and the upscale Roma/Condesa area, and so much more.

And now I’m at the Internet “Café” that is right next door to my place – about 5 steps – and I like that I’m becoming a regular and Memo soon won’t have to ask my name. As much as I like pretending I’m in a 21st century version of Cheers, it smells like a pet store in here tonight!