Sunday, August 21, 2005

Preparing for the First Day!

I’ve spent the morning cleaning, preparing my photos to put online and avoiding preparing for tomorrow – my first day of school. I’m going to go take a walk to the center of Coyoacan and find a nice café to sit and read materials and plan for the week ahead. I just remembered I have 3 lessons to prepare for the week, rather than 1 for each day, as each group only takes Spanish 3 times a week. As this week is the beginning of the school year, we’ll review the class’ rules and regulations, learn each other’s names, check out the material that we will cover, assess what the students already know – which will be interesting as my students will not have yet had any formal English instruction, so we’ll see what they’ve picked up from music, TV, movies and elsewhere.

I am very excited to begin and of course a little jittery since I really don’t know what to expect – just don’t let the students know! At the same time, the school will not only be new to me, but also for my students who are in their first year at the school - so at least we have that in common.