Monday, September 26, 2005

You Never Know What You’re Going to Get

It seems a bit tranquil around here today – it is Monday though, and I start the day earlier than the rest of the week so maybe the students are quieter for those two reasons. I started the day with Group 1A when we met at “Ceremonia.” For the first time I brought some paper so I could keep a list of points – pluses and minuses; the students definitely behaved differently as a result. Richi and Carlos sang the national anthem as if they were the most patriotic kids you’d ever meet. Carlos, a student who for the past month has seemed to care less about anything going on in class, asked me several times when I would put the points on his card.

We returned to the classroom and I explained how “The Stars of the Week” would work this week – students who have improved the most from the past week would be the winners. That way if a student didn’t earn any points the previous week and now warrants even four points, he has a chance of winning rather than a student who always receives ten or eleven points. The rest of the class period was spent taking a Spanish test – yes, I don’t understand either, but when I arrived at school today the “prefecta” said that I needed to give Group 1A the Spanish test during our English class period. Doesn’t make too much sense to me, as I asked, “Why don’t they take it during Spanish class?” I didn’t get a real clear answer; I think they take a math test each week during Spanish class. Later in the day I found out that it was some sort of standardized test, the same one given to all levels at the same time. It doesn’t matter that I don’t understand the procedure, I just have to do it, for this reason I believe that the most important quality a teacher needs to possess is flexibility.

Next I had Group 1C and Richi and Gerardo had a terrible case of diarrhea - of the mouth! They each promptly lost three points and new rule – 3 and you’re out. So they spent the rest of class outside and both protested before leaving. I am sure it made an impact on them and on the rest of the class that I did not give in, I said, “If you can’t follow the rules than you may not be in the class.” I did want to have them return as we were reviewing for the quiz, but it’s more important at this fragile stage to stick to my guns and not give in, not that I really ever do anyway. I felt like I was walking on pins and needles for 50 minutes, waiting for someone else to lose control. Instead, Ivan only draped his arm over the student in front of him one time, Marco Antonio didn’t even produce a “mouth fart” one time, instead he chose to participate throughout the class period and Sheldon just kept quiet – Gracias a Dios! I feel so relieved, like I was holding my breath for almost two hours and now I can let it go.

“Descanso” is in twenty minutes and I’m hoping the magic of the “Ball of Hope” continues. Today has been an excellent teaching day, so far. I am learning not to get too wrapped up in the highs and lows of the day since I never can tell what’s around the corner. I can’t stand roller coasters and this is the worst one I’ve ever been. It’s impossible to anticipate the curves or drops ahead, and I’m trying real hard now not to yell when they come up - I really don’t like myself when I yell at students. I’ve never yelled before and I don’t want to here either, it’s too much a waste of energy and disturbs the class even more than the original disruption had caused. The stern “teacher voice” and “teacher stare” is starting to cause enough of a reaction.