Saturday, September 24, 2005

Saturday in San Angel

I spent Friday night with Ada and Jane’s families, feeling as welcome and at home as always. After I walked the couple of feet back with Jane and Moishe to their house, we sat and watched a bit of the news of Hurricane Rita. Saturday morning I thoroughly enjoyed a great breakfast with Jane and Moishe. They taught me to eat a mango, my absolute favorite fruit, whole, on a special “mango fork.” Then I indulged in my favorite Manchego cheese on a tasty bialy and later I made room for a slice of cheesecake – however it is quite different here, more like pound cake.

After a bit, Eli, their son came in for breakfast. He lives in Houston but came to Mexico City when the city was evacuating. There were so many less security agents than usual at the Houston airport that Eli missed his original flight to Toluca, Mexico (about an hour from Mexico City) and instead arrived in Mexico City, unfortunately his luggage did end up in Toluca. He left his second floor apartment and all of his possessions behind.

I left their house and took a bus to the JCC for a while. Later in the afternoon I met up with Andi in San Angel, a great little area similar to Coyoacán, with cobblestone streets and old colonial-era homes and haciendas. The main Plaza Jacinto was the idyllic setting for a relaxing Saturday afternoon, as art vendors were distributed throughout. I didn’t make it into the actual Bazar Sábado (Saturday market) – one of the finest craft and art markets in Mexico that sets up in a 17th century stone building. We sat in a restaurant, on its balcony, and enjoyed some drinks and sandwiches while overlooking the quiet, tree lined plaza with the sun slowly fading away.