Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Let’s Go to the Movies

Across Mexico City, movie theaters are packed all day on Wednesdays – the discount day. Normally movies cost about $46 pesos, while they are less before 6 P.M. and even less before 3 P.M. On Wednesdays, however, a ticket costs about $28 pesos – prices depend on the movie theater chain. This Wednesday, Andi and I met at 3:00 outside of the metro stop Zapata that runs along Avenida Universidad and has two movie theaters within five minutes walking distance from the stop. I’d like to say that we saw some exotic foreign film and I could stretch and say that we saw a Southern movie that is a remake of a classic – but the truth is that we saw Los Dukes de Hazzard.

I have to say it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be – it was funny, action packed, suspenseful and they did a great job updating the characters and plot to the 21st century. The only part that I really thought went way over the top, and I’m sure a male opinion might differ, was Daisy Duke using her body to get something done in almost every scene in which she appeared. Almost any movie from the U.S. that I see here only adds to my educational experience; since the movies are subtitled in Spanish, I pick up new vocabulary and expressions.