Thursday, September 29, 2005

Politics

I entered school early today for our all day meeting where we sat and read the plan for Mexico’s new secondary curriculum. After reading the booklet, we were to write our comments that would be sent on to the union representatives for the district and then on to the government. One change reduces history class to one time a week, that way more time can be spent developing technical skills, like those taught in math and science class. While teachers throughout Mexico spent the day discussing the new plans and sharing opinions and ideas, the government already has the new curriculum set for the next school year.

After sitting around all morning, I wanted to enjoy my afternoon and get some work done at the same time, so I took the metro straight to Condesa. I exited the metro at the Chilpancingo stop and before I found a place to sit and work I made a bee line for an empanada stand that is run by a Spanish-speaking Russian man. I don’t know what he knows about making empanadas that the Mexicans and the rest of the world don’t know, but I’ve never had a better empanada - so light (minus the grease it bathes in) and fluffy and he offers so many different fillings he could open a 31 Flavors of Empanadas. There are traditional Mexican ones, Russian ones and dessert ones - the chocolate & cream cheese is my favorite!