Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good, The Very, Very Good
I had “Servicio” today and planned to show a movie. I said to the students who were in my classroom, “If you can make it from here to the audiovisual room without making a sound, you can choose something from the “Bolsa de Premios” (Prize Bag).” Astonishingly, they did it – they made it down the 3 flights of stairs, across the courtyard, up the one flight of stairs and waited outside the room IN SILENCE - I was bowled over and overcome with optimism for the future.

The Bad
The next class began, my optimism simmering, I sent a student to the principal for punching a classmate in the back, the flame quickly extinguished.

The Ugly
The following class was in full swing and came screeching to a halt when a girl came up to me to report that a classmate had spit on her. Wonderful. And off went another student to the principal.

Similar to Cubs fans’ eternally optimistic motto, “Wait Til Next Year”, my new mantra is “Tomorrow, I’ll get them tomorrow.”