Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Two For Tuesday

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

***20 años después - 20 Years Later***
Yesterday, September 19, 2005 was the 20th anniversary of Mexico City’s catastrophic 8.1 earthquake. Strangely, my dad was here for business on that day, so close to where I am exactly 20 years later. He has told me about being in a hotel room and looking out the window and seeing the landscape seemingly sway back and forth. It took less than a minute to cause overwhelming devastation to Mexico City and kill more than 9,000 people. During “ceremonía” we had a moment of silence for the victims of the 1985 earthquake. Then, at noon we had a “simulacro” - an earthquake drill. All of the newspapers featured the story and its aftermath and it also played on TV all day. I learned how Hurricane Katrina actually brought back memories for many Mexicans as they were able to empathize with the sense of urgency, feeling of helplessness and not knowing if loved ones were OK or not, but especially the lack of response on the government’s part.



***Armada con Besos - Armed with Kisses***
Before leaving my classroom for “descanso” today I stuffed my pocket full of Hershey’s Kisses; yes, at first just thinking of enjoying them myself but then I had a sudden stroke of optimistic wisdom. I decided that if I see a student doing something helpful, I would give them a “Kiss”. So, I approached one group of students and while eyeing two Styrofoam plates on the ground, I casually asked, “Do you want to help put those in the trash?” I thought they didn’t hear me or understand me; their expressions didn’t change in the least. Still hopeful, I headed towards another group, but this time I first said, “I believe if you do good things in life, you will receive good things in life.” Yeah, so my additional statement had no effect; so I moved on, 0 for 2. With the belief that you have to ask three times to hit upon the correct answer (as I do whenever asking directions or seeing if something is in a store), I prepared to face a third group. Again, I shared my “theory” and then, ever so reluctantly and skeptically, a group of 3rd year boys picked up a piece of trash each and threw it IN THE GARBAGE CAN! I promptly gave each a “Kiss.” Now, knowing that this could actually work, I approached another group, no such luck. On my final two attempts the students did respond. I intend to do this so often that maybe one day a student will throw a piece of trash in the can without the anticipation of receiving a “Kiss” in return – hey, a girl can dream!

Later in the day, I had class with Group 1C and owed two girls “Kisses” from “descanso,” so I began by asking the class if they knew why Thania and Jessica were receiving “Kisses.” Apparently word had already spread, as many knew the reason. I told the students that if I see them also do something helpful they might receive a “Kiss.” I added that I might not have “Kisses” with me so they’ll just have to take the chance of doing something helpful and in return possibly being awarded with a “Kiss.” I have a dream that one day I will shower the school with “Kisses.” I see myself standing outside of my classroom on the third floor and tossing “Kisses” into the air for all students to enjoy – of course the irony is that they would then have to clean up the mess.

UPDATE on Project: Armada con Besos
On Day 2, I have started having the students give me their Hershey Kiss wrapper after consuming the “mordida" (bribe – literally means “bite”). I am creating a “Bola de Esperanza” – Ball of Hope – and YES, I am going for “The Cheesiest Teacher of the Year Award.” But the students are more excited now since they do want to see how big we can make our aluminum foil ball! I’m in the process of looking up the world record to further inspire them. I believe it’s around 2,000 pounds or 909.09 kilograms according to this site (I couldn’t find it on Guinness’ homepage): http://kbcitv.com/x5154.xml?ParentPageID=x51493&ContentID=x52394&Layout=KBCI.xsl&AdGroupID=x5135
If anyone is planning to visit, feel free to bring along some big bags of "Kisses."

The photo attached to this posting shows the development after only 2 days. The other photo attached shows the public’s acknowledgement of the problem of not depositing garbage into a trash can. The sign on the garbage can that I saw in a movie theater reads, “How many Mexicans deposit garbage in its proper place? Unfortunately very few. Help us improve this. Honestly we need to.”