Sunday, October 09, 2005

There’s No Such Thing As A Free Meal

PHOTOS from Sunday in Chapultepec can be seen by clicking on the title of today´s entry or by pasting the following address into your browser: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=kxbc8ie.cqvejgq2&x=0&y=4sjx8s












The mid-term meeting officially concluded on Friday afternoon, but everyone stayed in D.F. through the weekend. Miriam and Jeannie stayed at my place Friday and Saturday night and met other Fulbrighters Saturday morning to go to the pyramids of Teotihuacán – about an hour outside of the city. I’ve been to the pyramids on a previous visit to D.F. so I decided to run some errands instead, but I was ecstatic that I stayed behind so that I could receive the phone call from my sister telling me that I became an aunt that morning.

Sunday morning Miriam, Jeannie and I took off early to meet Andi and “aprovechar” (make the most of) the day, since the Potosinas (Miriam & Jeannie are from San Luis Potosi) had a five-hour bus ride awaiting them. We met at a popular breakfast spot in Coyoacán, Las Lupitas. It’s decorated very brightly and traditionally; its food is also traditional, and exceptional.

From there, we took a taxi all the way northwest, crossing the city to reach Chapultepec Park and the Anthropology Museum. It was challenging getting close to the museum because of a race going on, but our driver was able to back down a runway and make a three point turn in the middle of the lane to redirect us.

The museum costs 38 pesos, but on Sundays it’s free and thus, teeming with visitors, making it difficult to see the artifacts close up or when you want to and the rooms are stifling. The museum is free at any time for teachers or those who have ID showing they live in D.F. or have an FM-3 visa. I paid for the audio guides, as my travel book suggested. Alas, it didn’t add anything to the experience except for carrying around a big, heavy phone-like object. In the first room we entered it was unbelievably stuffy, so we skipped over centuries of history and went right to one of the most important rooms, where an original Stone of the Sun (commonly, but incorrectly, referred to as the Aztec Calendar) is displayed. Then we took a look upstairs where one can learn about the traditions and customs, including food and dress, of groups from different states and regions within Mexico. I didn’t mind our quick visit; I think it’s better that way, in small portions, especially as a thorough visit of the two floors can take an entire day or more.

Once outside, Miriam and Jeannie found a taxi to take them to the northern bus terminal. Andi and I had fun watching the famous Voladores de Papantla (flyers of Papantla). While wearing traditional costumes (check out the photos) these men swing in circles, hanging by their feet from an incredibly high poles structure. For more info: www.mna.inah.gob.mx

After watching for a couple of minutes, Andi’s friend Sergio appeared and then my cell phone rang. It was Arnie, calling to tell me about his one-day old baby, Jonathan. Once he said that he had posted photos online, I found the first taxi – easy to do along Reforma, in front of the Anthropology Museum and across the street from the zoo – and raced to the Office Depot about a mile away. The Internet wasn’t working there, so I proceeded to the one closer to home and finally saw my nephew Jonathan, the most beautiful, precious baby in the whole world. C’mon, you wouldn’t expect me to say anything less!