Sunday, October 23, 2005

I Chose Diego Rather Than the Mummies

After endulging in the hotel’s breakfast buffet, Miriam, Jeannie and Andi went to Guanajuato’s famous Mummy Musuem, while I decided to skip it, having already seen it during my prior visits. I instead went to Diego Rivera’s museum, which I had not previously seen. I was interested to see where he was born and lived his first six years, before moving to Mexico City. The art was fantastic, as I hadn’t seen such variety in Rivera’s work before. There are about 100 original works of Rivera’s art on display with examples of his distinct stages like cubism, and ones from his formative years and ones showing diverse techniques. One on display is called “Cabeza Clásica” (Classic Head), Rivera made this when he was 11 years old. There’s one room with his illustrations for a translation of the book Popul-Vuh (often called “The Maya Bible”, is the book of scripture of the Quiché, a Kingdom of the Maya civilization in Guatemala) - American writer John Weatherwax was working on an English translation of Popol Vuh, and asked Rivera if he would provide illustrations for the manuscript. Although the translation was never published, Rivera agreed and produced twenty-four watercolor illustrations for the text.

Andi and I returned to D.F., this time together. The trip takes 4 hours and 50 minutes, and we traveled in first-class style on ETN – the best bus line in Mexico, comfortable, roomy seats and they even play movies. From the north bus station, we took the metro and I arrived home in time to see one of the best baseball games that I’ve seen. With the Sox down by two runs, Konerko hit a grandslam to go up 6-4. The momentum seemed lost as the Astros tied it up in the top of the 9th, but in dramatic fashion, Podsednik hit a walk-off homerun in the bottom of the inning to win the second game of the World Series and provide a picture perfect ending to an awesome weekend.