Sunday, October 30, 2005

Don’t Make Me Go

Just weeks ago I didn’t know how I was going to make it here for another three months. Now, I don’t know how I’m going to return home. During my other three programs in Mexico and on the various vacations here I have always felt comfortable, relaxed, welcome and at home; I finally feel that again. Therein lies the conflict – I feel at home here in Mexico and yet my home is Chicago, but I can’t imagine how I’ll readjust to my “home.”

I am in love with my apartment, its location to the metro and buses and its proximity to the center of Coyoacán. I have mastered the metro system; I hardly have to glance at the signs, if at all, to know my way around. I remember thinking that I’d never learn the bus systems, but now I can hop on and off without worrying too much if I’m on the right one. For the first month I detested having to “hop” off the back of the bus, as it never completely stops. Now, it’s instinctual to disembark this way. At first I feared for my life when crossing streets. Now, I cross confidently, however, still cautiously but I don’t even have to wait for a Mexican to shadow across the street.

I don’t want to give up my fresh squeezed orange juice on the way to school, getting fresh cut fruit from the “Fruit Lady” at recess, cheap movies on Wednesdays, two for one rentals on Tuesdays, a city that constantly offers exhibitions, theater, concerts, sports and anything else that one may be interested in.

Mostly, I don’t want to give up my students here. I have molded them for three months and they will continue to shape up for the next three. I don’t want to then walk out on them, leave them behind like so many others have done in their lives. I want to see the amazing results that they can achieve over an entire school year and I especially want them to understand what they are capable of.

I have spent the past three months getting accustomed to the Mexican (or better – Mexico City) culture. When the “Fruit Lady” asked me today, “¿Has acostumbrado?” (Are you used to everything now?) I didn’t hesitate before responding, “Sí.” After another three months I can’t imagine how much more integrated I will be. And then, I leave here on a Saturday in January and begin teaching in Wilmette on that Monday – I can’t even conceive of that frenzied change.