Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A 10-Hour Bus Ride – AAAH!

Tonight I leave Mexico City on an ETN bus (the best there is in Mexico) from the Northern Bus Station at 9:30 p.m. and at 7:15 a.m. tomorrow morning I will arrive in Colima (the capital town in the state of Colima that is due west of D.F.). I’m headed to Colima to visit my “Mexican Family” – my mom and dad, Blanca and Pepe, and my little sisters, Blanca, Scarlett and Azul. I lived with them five years ago when I was studying for my Master’s during the summer of 2000. The last time I saw them was four years ago when I took this same 10-hour ride from D.F. I was studying that summer in Querétaro and came to D.F. for just a day and a night. I remember going to the zoo with Scarlett, Azul and their aunt after spending the night in Mexico City.

Last time the bus ride didn’t go too well, I stayed in bed sick for the first day in Colima. So this time I searched the Internet for airfares. I had always heard that it’s more expensive to fly within Mexico than to travel outside the country – and my search sure confirmed that with a whopping price of $620 USD for the less than 2-hour flight. ETN wins out with its $150 USD round trip price. Armed with Ambien to help me sleep through the night, I am sure it will go much better this time around.