Sunday, November 06, 2005

THE Big Day - Bris Day

PHOTOS of Jonathan’s bris (don’t worry, there aren’t any of the actual procedure) can be seen by clicking on the title of today’s entry or by pasting the following site into you’re your browser:
http://homepage.mac.com/rachelsair/sairfamily/PhotoAlbum34.html

Today was Jonathan Louis Sair's bris. All went well as he was surrounded by all of his grandparents and more family and friends. A pediatrician performed the circumcision, as apparently there was a mohel convention going on! The rabbi was very warm and light-hearted and we were all quite impressed that Jonathan quickly stopped crying when the rabbi, while holding Jonathan, started doing squats.

We all enjoyed brunch afterwards and Arnie and Kara bought an amazing carrot cake – I’m still thinking about it! Jonathan spent the rest of the morning sleeping away; he thoroughly enjoyed his first sips of wine - used to commemorate the drop of blood (redness of the wine) that he is giving to come in to the Jewish covenant. The wine also has the affect of calming the baby when he cries.

I spent the afternoon shopping like a mad-person at the Mall of America. Uncle George was the perfect shopping partner, as we began together looking at electronics and then separated when I did a lot of damage at Old Navy. I did need to buy much warmer clothes for Mexico, now I have flannel pajama pants and a couple more pairs of pants too. We had dinner at Tony Roma’s and I devoured my baby back ribs and fried shrimp. I was so glad to find that I still love the ribs, since I tried Tony Roma’s here in Mexico City and couldn’t even eat one rib – clearly they do not come from the same pig stock.

The weekend was perfect and I am so glad that I was able to fly in for the special occasion.